Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Went to DSR for Dyno Tuning............

  1. #1
    Inactive Member MartyMarGSR's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2001
    Posts
    120
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    since you dont have a standalone, what mods do you have that allowed you to tune your fuel delivery etc.

    what changes did they make from the basic untuned JR setup using the FMU the way it came in the box and bolted in?

    Right now im running a walbro 342 and the JR fmu, pushing ridiculously high idle pressure, with timing set back at 7 degrees on 92 octane gas.
    Im also running NGKBKR7E's, gapped at about .035-.036

    I have never really heard any detonation since i put in those colder plugs (for the first 3000 miles i used my stock plugs with stock gap still), and the car had pulled way harder, but the plugs were showing signs of running lean since they were completely white on the tips.
    And im trying to figure out a few ways to help tune it up w/o a standalone (no money yet)

  2. #2
    Inactive Member GS-Raw's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 26th, 2001
    Posts
    81
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm running NOTHING.
    No Standalone
    No Band Aids
    Nothing
    They used the fpr that came with my kit to drop the fp. I'm using the one heat range colder plugs but they are the Platinum?s (BRP) not BRK. And my gap is around 42-45. Pretty big but no detonation present. Also, I'm in Cali so I'm only using 91 Octane. What are your numbers with the set up you have?

  3. #3
    Inactive Member reddelsol's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 31st, 2000
    Posts
    447
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor=""><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm running NOTHING.
    No Standalone
    No Band Aids
    Nothing</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    I did this for awhile at 8psi. Tuned on a dyno as well. But after about a month and half I hooked up the J&S again (classic not the ultra) and still showed the infamous tip-in detonation on the boost transition. After the map mod, this went away.

    Maybe you have zero detonation, but I figured those little bangs add up after awhile (more like the subtle damage of cigarette smoking, rather than breathing chem warfare gas as an analogy) and taking care of it with the map mod would pay some dividends in the long run.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member GS-Raw's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 26th, 2001
    Posts
    81
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Wow that's a great analogy!
    Thanks for the advice. I must say, you definatly gave me somthing to think about. I plan to go Hondata/Jim's pulley soon so hopfully I'll be fine until then.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member 93SolSi/GSR's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2002
    Posts
    71
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I haven't been to the dyno yet but I put on my JR map mod and it feel better

  6. #6
    Inactive Member GS-Raw's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 26th, 2001
    Posts
    81
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Finally, after driving around for the past 12 months with a non tuned JRSC GSR, I finally got my self to make the trip down to Dyno Spot Racing out here in northern California. My over all experience there was great and the guys down there were very knowledgeable. The shop has a 98 JRSC ITR putting out 255 whp and does 12.5 @ 108 mph, all at 8 psi! My results were the following:

    BASE: 198whp 138 ft/tq
    New plugs: 200whp 140 ft/tq
    Tuned: 207.3whp 150.5 ft/tq

    I was actually quite amazed that changing my spark plugs gave me 2 hp to the wheels. As soon as I go hondata, I plan to go right back here for some real fine-tuning. I'm very satisfied with the results, I went from 198 whp to 207 in a matter of 50 min.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 04, 2002 12:37 PM: Message edited by: GS-Raw ]</font>

  7. #7
    Inactive Member morepoop4u's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2002
    Posts
    47
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    i got my gsr tuned there a couple of weeks a ago by lawrence and this is what i got. this is at 6psi with i,h,c,e cam gears and hondata.


    wetoddimagewtdr?iwMjkyODU2czQxM2RmZDMxeTU0MQ3D3D

    well the pics don't work so here are the numbers;
    base
    201.5whp/153.9ft/lbs
    final
    225.4whp/160ft/lbs

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 05, 2002 01:24 AM: Message edited by: morepoop4u ]</font>

  8. #8
    Inactive Member MartyMarGSR's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2001
    Posts
    120
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    hey morepoop4u, do u remember what kind of setting u put on the cam gears when u got it tuned?

  9. #9
    Inactive Member morepoop4u's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2002
    Posts
    47
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    its +2 on the exhaust side. i gained 10hp by doing it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •